Caffeine may be a daily go-to habit for lots of people, but it should not be so for animals, whether in the form of coffee, tea, or even over-the-counter medications. No matter how many funny YouTube videos show a dog or cat eagerly lapping up coffee from their owner’s cup, it’s not safe or healthy. It’s important to keep this substance out of reach of your pets and to know the warning signs of toxicity in case they accidentally get a dose.
- Caffeine has the same effects on pets that it has on humans, in much smaller quantities.
- Caffeine can be toxic for pets, depending on their size and the amount ingested.
- If your pet ingests caffeine, in any form, watch for warning signs and contact your vet.
“Dogs and cats may exhibit clinical signs of caffeine toxicity within 30 to 60 minutes of consumption, Mazzaferro says.”